Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Can We Share Broken Hearts At Work?

Last month, our family suffered the devastating loss of my sister. For almost 10 days, my entire professional life came to a screeching halt. My grieving process is far from over but I am working again: re-establishing contact with my clients and colleagues, coaching and writing. And it has caused me to reflect on a dilemma that I sometimes hear in my clients.

How much of my personal life should I reveal at work?

I have no simple answers. But I do want to tell you how important it was for me and for my clients to be able to show a side of ourselves to each other that seldom has permission to take center stage.

The wonder of our humanity is that we are heart and soul; mind and body. Yet, on a typical day, we connect mostly with our minds and mouths. We even struggle to tap into our hearts when we are alone. For a brief moment of blinding intensity, I felt the full force of my clients’ heart as they shared my pain. This momentary revelation has changed us and the relationship. We are a little bit more whole now as we work together.

In the spirit of bringing our whole selves to each other, I share with you two articles which I have written for Simple Marriage.

In the first article entitled, Our Children are Zen Masters, I reflect on the lessons learned about presence from my sons when they were infants.

In the second article entitled, We Are So Proud of Who You Are, I learn about acceptance and appreciation from a HS guidance counselor.

Talk to you next month,

No comments:

Post a Comment