Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Workplace Smog

One of the first things I learned in graduate school was how to pare down my tortured verbiage into writing that was crisp and lean.

 

One of the first things I learned as a coach was how to ask short questions that get to the essence.

 

One of the things I have found refreshing about watching Suits (my son corralled me!) is the brutally honest way that Harvey and Mike talk to each other.

 

Now that the fog of cigarette smoke has cleared from most office buildings we can see the smog of too much unproductive talk! The workplace is choking on too much CYA talk, too much political maneuvering, excessive emails and CC’s that seek to prove and protect. Even when people walk into each other’s offices, they are jockeying, they are second-guessing, and they are off loading. More often people are grousing in loud whispers and throwing up their hands.

Can you imagine a workplace where…

  • your co-workers say what they think (respectfully) and you don’t have to watch your back?
  • you know you can work through conflict with agreed upon protocols?
  • the collective wisdom of a group can prevail over a loud or powerful voice?
  • people take personal responsibility and feel accountable to the group?

 

I CAN! I know what is possible when people develop relationship systems intelligence. My work now is totally dedicated to getting organizations to clear the air and talk about what matters. Clearly. Directly.

 

NOTE: I have recently become one of only 5 US licensed coaches to deliver a cutting edge program for managers that will change the way you lead and change the way you work. Ready to clear the air? Email me….

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment