Thursday, November 22, 2012

Blowing in the Wind

On some days, if you asked me what I do I would tell you I am a systems coach. Thanks to CRR Global I have a deep and profound set of skills that enable me to support people in the way they show up most naturally- in relationship with each other. To quote Brene Brown in her Ted talk, “Connection is why we are here.”  And it turns out that it is a lot easier to living meaningful and fulfilling lives at work and at home if you have some capacity for thriving in relationships (otherwise known as systems).

One of the most powerful concepts to come out of CRR Global is the idea of a Third Entity   

Here is the way CRR describes it on their website:

 

Each group, team or partnership is more than just a collection of individuals. The combined experiences, intelligences and energy form a unique and separate entity that is more than the sum of its parts. 

So every relationship I find myself in is comprised of me, the other, and our third entity ™.

Photo_1669_20060611

For those solopreneurs out there it will come as no surprise when I tell you that I have a relationship with my own business. I used to brow beat my business into succeeding. It didn’t take very well to that. I would occasionally enter into a period of benign neglect. It didn’t like that much either.  It has taken me years to go from a very administratively competent, linear, strategic professional to one who is willing and able to sense what is trying to happen and stay open to that. When I really stepped back and listened to what the Third Entity of my business had to say and really heard what it needed I learned something interesting.

 

It thrives in the wind. When pinned down-- it rebels and flies off.


And it is brilliant at catching the energy of passion and integrity. It told me that sometimes when I start panicking, or feeling inferior to others out there doing amazing work, (and this doubting my business) I need to remember that what looks like flailing is actually dancing and we (my business and I) have our own path.

 

When I feel the breeze and trust that dance—let me tell you the possibilities are endless. I have been carried off into places with so much potential. So many of you striving to do good, striving to contribute.

 

A business that thrives in the wind may not have a formal business plan—but boy does it pick up!

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment