Friday, December 14, 2012

Lead This Way...

For 5 years I have been telling my clients that I don’t ascribe to or promote any particular leadership style.

 

 

My role is to help you to find your own personal way of leading that works for you.

If you try to copy someone else’s style, it will fall flat.

You have to clarify your own values and assumptions and act from that place.  What I do ascribe to is a developmental approach to leadership development. You can’t stagnate. It is critical to continue to evolve as a leader.

 

I lied.

Partially.

Not intentionally.

 

So if you work with me now or you are thinking about it- pay attention. Here is what I believe we are striving for. Good leaders…


 

Understand their own emotional reactions and use it to understand others.

            Are humble and open.

            See what is working and acknowledge it

See what is possible and work toward it

Are not always reacting;

Step back and sense what is trying to happen-

in the team


in the organization,

in the larger environment in which they function

Don’t believe they can lead alone.

Find good people.

Tap into the wisdom of their people.

 

Wait a minute.  What about-

 

Decision-making

Vision

Communication skills

(and so much else)

 

Yup—good stuff.

And you might be stronger in some areas and weaker in others.

No one can be everything.

 

I am digging a well and inviting you to gather ‘round and drink from it.

(Leadership development can make you thirsty! J)

 

9227643-large

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment