Thursday, July 7, 2011

What a waste!

How many times do you get to the end of a day and wonder, "Have I really done anything today?

The people I know and love, and all of my clients, care deeply about their contributions to our world in ways big and small. They want to make a difference. They might worry that they are not gifted enough but they don't want to squander the gifts they do have. Sound familiar? 

Do we sometimes get off track and waste time? Uh-huh! And we are quick to tell ourselves that. 

And yet, more of the time, we simply don't value (and hence forget) all the ways in which we make a profound impact. I stopped to think about my morning...

·     I offered a cheery 'Good Morning" to a perfect stranger on my way to the gym

·     I greeted my waking son with an impromptu dance when I saw the huge smile on his face as he realized his summer program starts today.

·     I bought groceries that would enable me to make my husband dinner tonight (a RARE occurrence but that is another post!)

·     I cried tears of joy with a friend overseas upon learning that her tumor was benign.  

·     I cleared time in my schedule for an unexpected client emergency call

 

In minutes on the clock, these items barely registered. And yet, as I read each of one these, I know they represent me at my core. These are the briefest of moments in which I get to live out my what I value and who I want to be in this world. 

I am not very good at sustaining any appreciation practices so I am not going to tell you to start one. I just know that we all need to stop and notice how much better the world is because of the choices we make every day

No comments:

Post a Comment