Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Are you "sort of" hedging?

I have just listened to the recordings of three calls I facilitated. I was mortified to discover that I use the expression, "sort of" almost as much as my teen-aged boys say, "like" or "so...yeah". 

And then I noticed I wasn't the only one. 

Now I hear it everywhere. 

This phrase weakens what I am saying. It makes me sound tentative. And sort of weak...so yeah

The definition is "to some extent". How is that for equivocating? Is it or isn't it What do you think? What do I think? 

I could substitute the expression for the adverb: rather. "It is rather obnoxious, wouldn't you say?" It sounds more elegant- begs a British accent, in fact. But really, it is still paltering. (Now there is a word I have to use more!) 

I am putting a stake in the ground for clear and confident speech. I will say what I think and what I feel. I will say it respectfully. I will say it transparently. 

And I can be wrong. (Let's face it, I will be wrong a lot of the time.) I can apologize. I can take it back. I can re-think. I can be influenced by you. 

Are you with me? Sort of? 

No comments:

Post a Comment