Thursday, November 10, 2011

PATCHWORK

Il_570xn

: something composed of miscellaneous or incongruous parts :

I prefer the antonym. I am thinking of words like integrity, cohesion, blended.

I am looking at this beautiful art work of Cheryl Sorg's. (She inspires me --that is for another post.) I actually own a small piece of patchwork collage made by Cheryl that is hanging in my office. And right now PATCHWORK feels like a generative way of thinking about my life. 

My career life's work, over time and in present day has been a juxtaposition of different roles, different contexts, different ways of contributing and collaborating. 

Any given day is a patchwork of people, places and activities. 

My brain is a patchwork of texts, melodies, new thoughts and memories. 

My heart is a patchwork of emotions.

This is important to me because patchwork (as so beautifully illustrated by Cheryl Sorg) is thoughtful and coherent. There is reason and meaning. 

Each element is important in its own right. And together it is a creation- in the divine sense of that word.

It is a thing of beauty. 

Does the metaphor work for you? If not, what would you suggest?

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment