Monday, August 13, 2012

It turns out that being vulnerable is hard...

Being vulnerable at work has never been an issue.

Telling people I don't know something- piece of cake. 

Letting people know I am a beginner and might get it wrong- all in a day's work. 

Admitting to fear and insecurity- de rigeur.

 

I don't know why this has been true for me. I managed to develop a set of healthy assumptions borne out by experience that people appreciate honesty. That I can ease my own anxiety when I am transparent about it. That I don't have to be an expert at everything to be good at many things.

My clients on the other hand really struggle with this. And yet they struggle even more when they try to hide the source of their vulnerability. What my clients are learning slowly, with gentle support, is that it is so much easier to come out of the closet with their shortcomings than to stuff it all into that closet and hope no-one opens it accidentally. 

A book that I have found valuable on this topic is Getting Naked by Patrick Lencioni.

 

 

How are you doing with being vulnerable?

No comments:

Post a Comment