Thursday, June 2, 2011

One Strong Belief: We Have a Choice #Trust30

The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What’s one strong belief you possess that isn’t shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?

 

 we always have a choice

The fabric of our world is woven with a promise- that we can always return to our best selves, to our core values, to our inherent capacity to create a world in which all living things can thrive. I believe it is not only a promise but a choice to be made-- to be the best we can be and align with our destiny

Stoic acceptance, resignation, even despair is always knocking at the door of this belief. I am as susceptible as the people I love and live with. As I sit crouch legged on my side of the door I hear the distant calls, “You are sunk, honey” “You’re stuck” “It isn’t going to get better, so get used to it” “What can you expect of them anyway” “It’s just the way it is” “It’s just the way I am.”

When my hand stretches out to turn the knob I am in danger of betraying myself. Even as I slowly turn and consider giving in I realize—I am making a choice. What am I choosing? And with that thought, I have returned to myself. I can stand on my own two feet and see a different possibility.

 

This belief is core for me. It is rooted in my belief in God, in my reading of the bible. In my absolute certainty that our inherent capacity to choose is divinely endowed. It is also rooted in my life experience. I have made changes over and over again. I have redeemed myself over and over again. I am resilient. My relationships are resilient. Our world is resilient. 


I apologize.

I ask for a do-over (I was harsh, I am sorry. It is not who I want to be. Can we try again? I care about you.)

 

I see each new day, each new moment as a new opportunity. (I passed a homeless man on the street without a kind word yesterday, today I will smile and say hello.)

I take responsibility (Am I choosing to wallow in despair? Am I choosing to feel victimized? What can I do to shift this? Who do I need to reach out to?)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment