Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Build Professional Partnerships [Business Development]

My vision for my coaching practice is for it to grow through a variety of partnerships. Let me tell you about one of them.

Mary Gorham and I live in different states and some years after our initial meeting, we are beginning a partnership focused on coaching leaders committed to global sustainability. Our first workshop is being field tested and we are excited about the initial results. Here is what we have learned that might be useful to you in your own professional partnerships:

Trust Your Intuition
I was originally drawn to Mary’s energy. As we talked, we recognized our common values and professional interests. We liked each other and we found we could laugh together- a critical element in all my relationships.

Commit to the Relationship
Mary and I spoke with each other by phone weekly for the better part of the past 3 years. We began by coaching each other, and over time, realized we would like to partner in some way. Not all of our calls were goal directed. Some seemed to find us drifting in opposite directions. These calls were hard to schedule with our complicated lives. Yet, we rarely ended a call without scheduling the next one. And when it made sense, we scheduled extended face to face time as well.

Know What Matters to Each Other
From the start, our conversations were both wide and deep. We talked about what we valued in our lives and in our professional experiences. We talked about spirituality and the role of our different faith communities in our lives. We talked about our children and parenting. As committed parents, forging a professional life always happens in a broader context.

Appreciate and Acknowledge Each Other’s Strengths
Mary and I have both complementary and overlapping strengths and skills. We see them, and name them for each other consistently. This has helped us to weather the times when we feel like we are contributing less than we would like and it has enabled us to focus on what we can do rather than get stuck in what can’t be accomplished.

Keep Redesigning the Alliance
Mary and I not only create agendas and goals for our meetings, we talk about what we need from each other to be productive. “Let’s get really curious about where we are stuck today.” Or “I really want you to challenge me.” And “You can count on me to be honest” or “You can count on me to be succinct.”

If you know of a professional partnership in need of coaching support, please encourage them to get in touch with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment